Thursday, January 19, 2006

japan update #4

Okay! Last night in this internet cafe place, and I have only 10 minutes left (unless I pay for more, hmm). Yesss, okay sooo, birthday. 20!! woohoo. After a day in which NO ONE MENTIONED IT AT ALL (except for my friends, because I reminded them) somehow at dinner they brought out Kirin beer and Coke and toasted me!! (the beer because Japan's drinking age is 20, although it's gross and I only had a few sips) what the heck people!! How could you let me spend the day all sad that no one noticed (I only mentioned it once or twice but still) and then RANDOMLY BUST OUT with something like that!? insanity!!

The Hiroshima Peace museum reallly pissed me off. It had an agenda and it was so biased. I was maaaaad. I'm not saying the bomb was the best idea around, but Japan was NOT going to give up unless some sort of drastic measure was taken. THEY WERE NOT! No matter how weakened they had become, they were determined to fight, and if the bomb hadn't been dropped, tedious fighting would have ensued for who knows how long because of their stubbornness. I researched this for a paper I wrote awhile back, so I'm not just making this up. And guess what, nuclear weapons aren't going away. Nope! Once again, not the best idea, and I hate the thought that they may be used someday for widescale destruction, but they're also important technology that we need to keep developing.

But then we went to Miyajima, the best place ever, and I got another arrow and petted some more free-roaming deer. And saw the floating torii and a bunch of cool shops. I wanted to ride the gondolas and see the monkeys, but alas, we did not have time. :<

Time to go! Tomorrow we go back to Tokyo and have the farewell party! But then I stay on in Tokyo starting that Saturday, and I also don't know about internet access then, sooo. I'll write... whenever!

No comments: