Saturday, October 14, 2006

Akihabara, etc

Saturday, October 7, 2006

Oooooh, I'm so happyyyy. I finally got to go to Akihabara and do everything I've been wanting to :D I got a new camera, an electronic dictionary, AND I went to a maid cafe. yay! Maid cafes are something very particular to Japan, found in the incredibly nerdy area of Akihabara, where all the dorks hang out and buy video game and anime stuff. They have waitresses dressed as maids, who are supposed to treat all the male visitors with the utmost respect and speak formally yet cutely to them, etc etc. I've been curious ever since I found out about them so it was really cool to finally get to go to one.

My camera is reallllly cool too. I'm incredibly satisfied. Canon IXY Digital 70, another Canon like my old one so I already know my way around it, it's all sleek and slim with a big screen, and just all around cool. My dictionary is really good too because it has a stylus so you can write in the kanji, which is VERY helpful when you don't know what the heck that kanji is and you don't feel like tediously looking it up by radical.

The maid cafe we went to is this one, Cos-Cha. All around Akihabara there were maids passing out flyers and we collected them and then this one looked cute so we went there. Fortunately as we approached the maid passing out that flyer, she was on her way back to the restaurant, so we just followed her there, which probably saved about 15 minutes of wandering around lost. It was pretty normal inside, except for the waitresses dressed as maids (and a few in vests/black pants, were they supposed to be guys? hahah) and all. I mean, there were normal groups of people just hanging out, nothing scary or anything. Everything was incredibly cute. We saw this guy get a coffee and the cream on top was SHAPED INTO A CAT'S HEAD, SO CUTE. I tried to get the same thing but mine just had a bunny face drawn into the surface of the liquid. Still adorable. woohoo, maid cafe!!






Heeeeeehee!


Maid-waitress putting cream on my cheesecake




Me at the maid cafe

AND NOW I'M LEARNING JAPANESE SIGN LANGUAGE ON TV. WOW. BEST THING EVER!!!! No, seriously, this is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Japanese's amazingness extends even to its sign language. I really want to remember as much of this as possible.

Sunday, October 8, 2006

wow, today was kind of amazing. I woke up (around 1 pm) to Aly and Brette going out the door, and Aly said she was on her way to Yoyogi Park and if I wanted to join her, I could call. So I sort of puttered around, looked outside at the beautiful sunny windy day, and decided that YES, I wanted to go to the park. So I hopped on the train and met her there, and Casey and Matt were there too playing Frisbee, and then Lisa, Anna, Pat and Audrey joined us later. Oooh, so much fun. I had never been to Yoyogi Park before and it's REALLY COOL. Every single person I know needs to go. It covers everything: Elvis/John Travolta impersonator people, skaters, bike trick people, hippie drummers, kids playing badminton, Frisbee people, people with ADORABLE DOGS, food stands, and just... everything. It is SO AMAZING. Plus Harajuku is just down the street, so if you feel like grabbing a crepe (which we did), you can totally go do that.

But the park was fuuunn, lots of fun, and it was a perfect fall-is-coming day in which to be there, lovely cool day, completely clear sky, sunny and windy. Just beautiful. Yoyogi Park rocks.


Ooooh, cutest thing ever. The one on the left is the mommy and on the right are her FOUR BABIES. FOUR BABY PUPPY CORGIS!!! They'd toss a ball, the mom would go after it, and all the babies would run after it too but they were on leashes so they couldn't get far! SO CUTE!


hahahaha




It's a bad idea to let Casey have my camera. He'll take a million self-portraits. This is only one of them.


Casey and Aly (roommate)


Matt and Casey on the Frisbee field

Then Aly and I came home and MADE DINNER, which rocked. We split a head of broccoli, and then I made curly macaroni pasta + chicken in cream sauce. It was AWESOME. I can cook!! yes I caaannn. :D


yeahaaahhh

Okay, host family hanging out time~ Disneyland tomorrow~ woohoo!! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pictures baaaack.
Nice.